October 7, 2008
Marathon Mom
So... After 4 months of training, I ran 26.2 miles in the St. George Marathon. It was one of the hardest, most exciting miserable things I've ever done. I had this awesome picture in my head of how it was going to be and it turned out completely opposite. Almost everything that could go wrong did. It began with a late start to St. George. I was nervous and anxious and wanted to get an early start so I could get my chip and number and then have a relaxing night with the family at the pool. We ended up spending the night at the Instacare getting stitches in Amanda's finger. Then there was the late night search for my lost iPod. (Heavenly Father does answer prayers!) I went to bed around 12:30 and up at 3:50 to get to the bus and up to the starting line by 5am. It was pitch black outside and raining. There were about 5,000 people dressed in trash bags sitting around smoldering fires trying to keep warm and dry. It looked like Armageddon. I ran about 8 miles in a trashbag and finally ripped that off only to be soaked to the bone from head to toe. The rain never stopped, the headwind was cold and strong and my feet were sloshing around in my shoes for 4 hours and 46 minutes. - Like I said MISERABLE! But it was so worth it when I rounded the corner toward the finish line and saw Blake. The kids were a little farther down standing on the fence and gave me high 5's as I ran by! (at that point I'm not sure you could call it running) It was definitely not pretty, but well worth it! Anyone want to run with me next year? I just have to do it in the sunshine.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment