February 3, 2009
Family Reunion
We drove to Denver to be with my family for Zach's funeral service on Friday December 5. Sammie stayed here in Springville with the Frei's because she had to attend her choir concert both nights. We would have taken her with us if her participation in the concert didn't account for most of her grade. So we got there Friday night and hung out at mom & dad's house. I was arranging pictures in an album for the reception so people could sign it as a guest book.
The next morning we were getting ready for the funeral and I realized that I brought Sammie's black skirt and not my own. A couple of years ago we shared the skirt, but now... well, let's just say, in it I looked like I was ready for a night on the town. So I found myself at Kohls searching for a black skirt. It should be noted that Kohls doesn't have a very good selection of basic black skirts in the dead of winter.
I think overall the service went very well. Gionne, Taylor, Tanner and Michaela presented his urn with some of their fellow Young Marines in a beautiful procession. After some words from the preacher Tony, Ronda and the kids were able to relate how much they loved and will miss Zach. Following that some of Zach's friends and coworkers expressed their thoughts about Zach also. It ended with a fantastic slideshow of Zach's life put to music. Friends and family then gathered for a reception in another room of the church. There were so many people there. Many more than had been expected.
Did I mention that on this day, December 6th, Tony was born 38 years ago? Our family and extended relatives went to Vinnie's house so we could celebrate a little with Tony. It was good to see family members we hadn't seen in years, but unfortunate that it was under these sad circumstances.
As we were heading back to Utah on Sunday, Blake and I resolved that we have to make time to visit more often.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment